From the pounding headache, stale taste of alcohol, and spotted memory I can only surmise that I’m in Austin, TX one day before the annual SXSW Music/Film/Technology festival begins. I arrived yesterday, a day earlier than the rest of the Light In The Attic hooligans so I could have some time to explore the city, check out the college, and spend one extra evening dropkicking my liver.
From this day forward I guess I’ll be reporting to you from this crazy, bar-infested little town on all the happenings, well, happening. There will be drinking, there will be illicit drug use, there will be an absolute ass-ton of music – some good, some bad, some barely remembered. Nonetheless, I’ll be here trying to keep you, our loyal fans, in the know. Apologies in advance for my inability to take pictures, I have many gifts, but photography is not one.
Lets get this shit started.
Last evening, in bullet points:
- After drunkenly leaving Mohawk’s, to drunkenly prepare to drunkenly view Tokyo Police Club’s pre-SXSW performance, found that the line had grown to unimaginable proportions. Two fences, a German society, and a dodged bouncer later, I was in the VIP section happily slurping down nine dollar tequila shots.
- The rumors are true: much of the alcohol at SXSW is very very very free. Lone Star is delicious. As is Shiner Bock. After ten free Lone Stars, the night became very very very blurry.
- There are several alleys in Austin, TX where the denizens are extremely friendly and seemingly always have something to sell. Don’t go to these places.
- This town has nearly a million bars if I remember correctly, which I most certainly do not, I literally went to 999,999 of them last night.
- Tokyo Police Club lives up to the hype. Big, bouncy bass, and everything that comes with it. They’re playing a million shows here, so if your around, check ‘em out.
- A madhouse, that’s the only way I can describe what this place is going to be in the next view days. Hopefully I get out of it with minimal damage, but coming out alive sounds just dandy.
That’s all I got for now, my body needs to adjust to the hammering it’s going to take. Tonight The Blakes headline the pre-show and the rest of the Light In The Attic crew arrive.
Trouble will ensue.