Continuing the grand Light In The Attic tradition, below are our favorite things from the past year.
Stephanie Weiss, Publicist
- Getting married to Joey
- 2 night stay at the San Ysidro Ranch Oak Grove Cottage (Heaven on earth. JFK had his honeymoon here)
- Getting hired at LITA in June
- Traveling to Rome & Barcelona for my honeymoon
- Endless tapas at La Fuerta in Barcelona
- Morning Cappuccinos at Bar Cappuccino in Rome
- Visiting the The Roman Forum
- Emailing with Nardwuar The Human Serviette about a Willie Thrasher interview
- This Record Belongs To ___
- Willie Thrasher – Spirit Child
- Lizzy Mercier Descloux - Press Color named Best New Reissue at Pitchfork
- Various press/marketing accomplishments
Henry Owings, Official Pixel Shuffler/Vector Tightener
(Dear reader, most of these are bands or comps, not porn…)
- Wayne Rogers for President
- Destroy All Art
- Mutual Jerk
- Honey Radar
- Salad Boys
- Uniform (both NY and GA iterations)
- Deep in the Throat of Texas
- Spray Paint
Willa Goettling, warehouse/administration
- Getting paid as an illustrator for the first time/helping create an interactive kids book app.
- Going on my first West Coast tour with my band, Dozer!
- Road-tripping around the East Coast and Midwest with one of my best friends.
- Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl book talk at the Neptune with Carrie Browstein. And reading her book.
- Volunteering at Hollow Earth Radio and hosting my own radio show for the first time!
- Discovering Phoebe Wahl‘s art and zines.
- Joining Darto
- Reading Simone de Beauvoir’s Ethics Of Ambiguity.
- Listening to lots of Carole King
- Making Savory Pie
Jack Sills, Licensing
- D’Angelo at Club Nokia
- Surfing Baja
- Kurt Vile - b’lieve i’m goin down
- Barbara Lynn at the Light In The Attic Summer Spectacular, Portland/
- David Kauffman & Eric Caboor - Songs from Suicide Bridge
- The Supreme Court’s ruling in favor of same-sex marriage
- Psychic Migrations
- Billy Changer - S/T
- New York trip
Jon Treneff, retail
- Stockholm, Gotland, Amsterdam
- Maki Asakawa – Honest Jon‘s reissue thing
- Jonathan Richman in the ’80’s
- Going to NOLA for the first time
- Going to Austin for the first time
- Spreading the gospel via the kid’s comp / turntable
- Cutting down a Christmas tree
- Getting back into John Fahey
- Turning into an uncle
- Living with a girl
- Living with a cat
- Censorship Now! by Ian Svenonius.
- Yoroshiku Ramen
Seth Warren, Warehouse/LITA Shop
- Brad Tilbe
- Len playing Bieber in the warehouse
- Analog Africa Records
- Cubist Blues
- LITA growing up and up!
- Brian Wilson and Rodriguez at Benroya
- The handful of super savvy, sexy LITA Shop regulars (you know who y’all are)
- L.A. Team field trip up to Seattle
- Matt and Josh living the dream and letting us jam in it
- New 52 DC Comics trade paperbacks from the library, especially Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison
Lydia Hyslop, Girl Friday
- Connie Converse
- Oxford Film Festival
- Domilise’s Po-Boys
- Honey Child
- Savannah, GA
- Cucumber Honeydew Jalapeno gazpacho
- Barbara Lynn at LITA summer show
- Riding a horse named Starsky to a mexican restaurant
- Gotland, Sweden
- Amsterdam, NE
- ABBA museum, STHLM
Pat Thomas, A&R
- Finally getting Carole King’s The City album released, 5 years after we first started on it
- Having dinner with Karin Krog in New York City
- Visiting The Band’s “Big Pink” house near Woodstock and taking the obligatory photo
- Going another year without buying or downloading anything from iTunes
- Still not listening to anything Taylor Swift or U2 recorded recently
- Loving the ORK Records (2 CD) box set released by the Numero Group
- Wishing I had money for the 18 CD Dylan box set
- Welcoming maverick publicist Stephanie Weiss into the LITA family
- Crying like a baby when LITA queen Lydia Hyslop broke up with us
- Getting Greg Sage of The Wipers to answer my phone call
Grant Olsen, Producer, Film/Broadcast
- Bambinos No.1 & No.2
- Hubble Space Telescope’s Picture of the Week
- NOAA’s Deep Sea Videos (Crinoids!)
- The Alice Gallery
- Jim O’Rourke’s - Simple Songs
- French Onion Soup
- Maria Popova
- Robert Wyatt
- Pattern & Shape
Matt Sullivan, Founder/Co-Owner
- Arlo “Party Time” Sullivan – January 25, 2015
- D’Angelo – Black Messiah + show (Club Nokia, Los Angeles, June 8, 2015) + this interview
- Daniel Patrick Quinn – West To The Irish Sea (Wee Black Skelf)
- The Black Angels – demos of forthcoming full length due in 2016
- V/A – Sherwood At The Controls Volume 1: 1979 – 1984 (On-U Sound)
- “12 Angry Men” – Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)
- Lost Heroes & Miniature Histories of Los Angeles, Volume Two by Sam Sweet (All Night Menu)
- Dam-Funk – Invite The Light (Stones Throw)
- Low Down: Junk, Jazz, and Other Fairy Tales from Childhood by A.J. Albany (Tin House Books)
- Barbara Lynn – Summer Spectacular, Seattle, August 15, 2015
- George Shea – Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, Coney Island, NY, July 4, 2015
- Bob Dylan – The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11 (Sony Legacy)
Jackie Allen, Social Media & Digital Marketing
- Joanna Newsom – Divers
- Amy Schumer
- My beautiful rental harp!
- The Leftovers | Best and weirdest show on TV.
- The Spice Station | A beautiful little shop with every spice you could dream of, right in Silver Lake
- The Scream franchise (How had I not seen them till now?!)
- D’Angelo – Black Messiah, plus seeing him live
- Launching the LITA Podcast
- Piano, music theory, and harp lessons
Yosuke Kitazawa, Mechanical Licensing
- Bob Dylan – The Cutting Edge | The bard continues to amaze with some new 50 year old music.
- The Velvet Underground – The Matrix Tapes | Still love them after all these years.
- Ork Records: New York New York | This great Numero Group release reminds me of listening to the ’90s Rhino “DIY” series.
- Kamasi Washington – The Epic | After seeing him live multiple times, it’s great to hear him on record.
- Maki Asakawa | Finally, her work is available outside of Japan thanks to Honest Jon’s.
- Trip to Japan | Record stores, retro cafes, Jim O’Rourke at Super Deluxe, etc. — while spreading LITA love with Matt.
- Haruomi Hosono | The prolific and varied solo career of the Happy End/YMO maestro is all kinds of amazing.
- Nightmare Before Christmas live at the Hollywood Bowl | My 13 year-old self would’ve been thrilled to see this.
- Rocco & His Brothers | Thanks to Cinefamily for showing this great Luchino Visconti film.
- LAtitudes: An Angeleno’s Atlas | A must read for L.A. history nerds.
Michael Wells, Operations
- Destroyer – Poison Season (thanks for the tip, Jon!)
- Elvis Costello autobiography – Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink
- D’Angelo – The new(ish) album and his interview with Tavis Smiley, check it out
- The Chills - Silver Bullets (one of my favorite bands of all time returns – thanks Martin Phillips!)
- Allen Klein bio – Fred Goodman’s a great writer who also penned The Mansion on the Hill, a book you need to read
- Patti Smith – M Train
- The brand spankin’ new Light In The Attic Website!
- Disneyland with my kids :-)
- Jodorowsky’s Dune – the film and the LP, so amazing and so ahead of his time
- Watching 17,500 people play air guitar and air drums at the Rush show!
Morgan Chosnyk, Orders
- That time I sewed a picture of Bill Murray
- That time my little sis came to visit and we took the most stereotypical Seattle picture ever
- That time I wore an otter costume on stage at Neumos
- That time I joined a bowling league called the “David Bowlie League” and then promptly got a 178 high score
- That time I quit smoking and then ran a 5K
- That time my boyfriend and I were the creepiest people at the Halloween party
- That time I went to the Twin Peaks festival and got a sweet pic in the Red Room
- That time I did the costume contest at the Twin Peaks Festival and dressed as Jerry Horne’s Smoked Cheese Pig
- That time I won the caption contest at the Twin Peaks Fest and won some sweet sweet swag
- Aaaaand that time I got a picture as Laura Palmer wrapped in plastic on the exact beach from Twin Peaks
Top that 2016!